16/08/2011 Leave a comment
Saw this thread in the Vogue forums. This post made me laugh…and think:
“- don’t get a credit card. You’ll have a shopping problem.
- accept help from others. You’re not alone
- as lonely as you may be being the only single person out of all of your friends between 18-23, you’ll meet the most amazing man when you turn 24.
- the other half’s problems are with you. Just stay positive and supportive, and all will be well.
- don’t overload at uni when you have glandular fever. That will screw you over for the next six years.
- money isn’t the most important thing in the world
- learn to forgive people. Nurturing grudges will make you very, very ill.
- remember that no matter how bad things get, your family are always there. You don’t have to tell them everything, but they’ll be there.
- parking fines and speeding fines are a waste of money
- don’t buy things on impulse
- seek professional help when you need it. Don’t think your psych degree will protect you. Especially after you swallow two bottles of prescription pills.
- look in the mirror and smile. Better still, smile at people. Even if you’re just brushing past them in the supermarket
- patience is a virtue
- learn to say sorry
- allow yourself time to be sad and time to grieve. Holding everything in causes a mental breakdown at age 18, 20, 21, 22, 22 and a 1/2, 23……
- quit your job when you feel it’s right. Procrastinating gets you nowhere.
- deep breathes
- don’t watch season 3 of Masterchef. Dani will give you the *****
- don’t curse the sky when it rains. For some reason you’ll be rained on every time you step out the door over the next few weeks
- don’t text and drive. Or play with your iPad when you drive
- tell the other half you love him when you feel it’s right. Procrastinating only ends up with a blubbery gargle of random words
- don’t impulse shop – what are you going to do with the hot pink vest in your wardrobe when you realize you only really wear black?
- wear heels as early on as possible so that you can wear heels to your bosses wedding without dying.
- manicures are important. Or at least, take something to strengthen your nails.
- whatever you do, no matter how cheap it is, don’t fly Tiger”
What advice would you give to your younger self?